Eligibility and Required Documents
- Admission Eligibility and Document Requirements: School aged children living within Arizona are eligible to apply for enrollment. Kindergarten applicants must be 5 years old by September 1. Children who do not meet the September 1 deadline but are at least 3 years old may benefit by enrolling in our academic Preschool. Students on active expulsion or who are in the process of being expelled from another school are not eligible to apply for enrollment (regardless of the reason for such action). Students who have expulsion decisions pending are not eligible to apply. Students who have been convicted of an illicit drug offense or crime are not eligible to apply. Applications containing intentionally false or misleading information may be voided (regardless of the nature of the falsified information) and the student’s school membership terminated. Such students are not eligible to reapply. Administrative decisions regarding enrollment or eligibility may be appealed to the Board. Board decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
Documents Required for Registration:
- A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate (Kindergarten) or
- Any document listed in A.R.S. § 15-828(A)
- Official transcripts and/or a complete “cumulative folder” (Must be received directly from previously attended schools). Walked-in copies cannot be accepted.
- Immunization history with proof of immunization
- Complete emergency contact information
- Completed registration form
Student Records / Transcripts:
- For students transferring into ALL, grade and/or class assignments are tentative pending completion of a placement evaluation, including review of transcripts and/or student records of prior attendance.
- For students transferring out of ALL, records should be requested in writing by the school into which they are transferring. We cannot honor requests made by phone. Official transcripts and student cumulative files can only be transferred to the requesting school. Please allow four weeks for processing. Parents or guardians requesting unofficial transcripts must complete the proper transcript request form. Please allow four weeks for processing (longer during the summer months).
Applicants are not required to pass a qualifying exam to meet the criteria for admission. However, as part of the application process, students are evaluated with several instruments to help determine appropriate placement. Many factors are considered for proper placement and not all become apparent before a student is observed within a classroom setting. Some adjustments should be expected throughout the school year. Some students may be transferred between classes to achieve the best possible placement. Parents and students may provide input on the selection of a teacher (K-5) but preferences are honored only if they are consistent with other indicators, to be the ‘best academic placement’ and the best interest of the child.
Placement Assessments: To ensure that new students are placed at their challenge level ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development), intake assessments are utilized to determine benchmark measures of each new student’s functional level in each core subject area (language arts, reading, mathematics, science). Although transfer students are not required to pass qualifying exams for admission, before attending class, each new student’s skills and knowledge are evaluated to determine appropriate placement. Performance indicators and metrics include: data transferred from the previous schools; previous courses taken; grades; standardized test scores; and assessments that are aligned with ALL’s curriculum offerings including assessments of reading, mathematics, writing, science topics. Academic placement of each returning students is determined by that student’s prior year’s Expert Trial and Challenge achievement levels.