General Discussion: Public Meeting Procedures
Board meetings: It is AESS’s policy to not only conform to Arizona’s Open Meeting Law A.R.S. § 38-431but to conform to the spirit of the Law. That is, to ensure transparency and public access. AESS believes that the more the public knows of its goals, methods, and accomplishments and the more the public understands what is pedagogically possible; the more likely it is that the public will expect much higher performance from its educational institutions and the greater the “good”will be that AESS contributes to society.
Disclosure of Posting Locations: AESS will inform the general public of the location where physical and electronic Board Meeting Notices will be accessible to the general public.
- Posting Locations can be found on AESS’s website, org, on the “Home Page” under the heading “Public Notifications” under “Posting Locations”.
- In addition; a hard copy of “Posting Locations” shall be available for pickup in the school’s main office, located in the Accelerated Learning Laboratory Secondary School, 5245 N. Camino de Oeste, Tucson, AZ. At a minimum, the main office will be accessible to the public from 8:00AM through 4:00PM, Monday through Friday.
Board Meeting Notices: will be posted in all locations identified and listed under “Disclosure of Posting Locations”.
- Board Meeting Notices: can be found on AESS’s website, org, on the “Home Page” under the heading “Public Notifications” under “Board Meetings”.
- In addition; hard copies of “Board Meeting Notices” shall be available for pickup in the school’s main office, located in the Accelerated Learning Laboratory Secondary School, 5245 N. Camino de Oeste, Tucson, AZ. The main office shall be accessible to the public from 8:00AM through 4:00PM, Monday through Friday.
- At a minimum, Board Meeting Notices will include: LEA name; meeting date; time; location; Agenda (or how to obtain access to the agenda); and any information deemed necessary for the public to know.
- Board Meeting Notices will be posted at least 24 hours in advance (not including Saturdays, Sundays or legal holidays:New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Constitution Commemoration Day (September 17), Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.)
Emergency Board Meetings: May infrequently occur due to unexpected occurrences that require urgent Board action that could not delayed for proper notification.
- The Board may meet, discuss and decide matters with less than 24 hours prior notice.
Social Events or other instances where a quorum of Board Members may be present: At such events, Board Members will take great care to avoid discussing the business of AESS with each other. No legal action shall be proposed or taken.
Executive Sessions: In which the Public is excluded and discussions are confidential, are only permitted for specific topics of discussion such as complying with confidentiality statutes and attorney-client privilege.If a possibility exists that during a Regular Board Meeting, the Board will enter an Executive Session, a general description of the items which may be discussed in Executive Session will be included in the Agenda.Executive Session notices shall include the authorizing statutory section, A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3). The Board shall vote to enter any Executive Session prior to entering one. During an Executive Session,paper minutes will be recorded,but no action shall be taken. Only Board Members and individuals who are reasonably required to conduct the session or inform the Board shall be allowed to be in attendance. Board members and staff shall not violate the confidentiality requirements and will not discuss what goes on in a specific Executive Session.
The Board Meeting:
- The Agenda will list the order in which specific matters that may be discussed, considered, or acted upon and will provide any information necessary for the public to know.
- All discussion will remain relevant to the listed specific Agenda items with the exception that such items as the presentation of an overview of current events or a report may occur provided the general category “Current Events” or “Report”are agenda items and that the Board does not propose or take legal action on these general items.
- The public has the right to attend, listen, tape record, or videotape unless such activities interferes with or disrupt the conduction of the Board Meeting. The public does not have the right to speak (with the exception of a Call to the Public”) at a Board Meeting or disrupt the business of the Board.
- Calls to the Public will have specific limitations such as time and a ban on repetitions. The Board cannot discuss, consider, or take action on items mentioned in “Calls to the Public” if those items are not listed on the Agenda. The board may recommend further study of those items, placement on a future agenda, or comment in response at the conclusion of an open call to the public.
- Minutes taken during a Regular Board Meeting will be open to public inspection by three working days after adjournment.
- Infrequently, AESS may conduct Board Meetings with the use of technology including serial internet messaging. In such cases,Notice will be provided relevant to meeting time and log on instructions. Accommodations shall be provided for members of the public who do not own a computer or have internet access.
- To propose or take any binding legal action, a quorum of Board Members must be present.